|2.0 hours with 1/2 hour for breaks
Washington National Forest
Topo Hike Map (PDF)
New Market Gap, VA Weather Forecast
Garmin (GDB), GPS eXchange (GPX) (What's
View of Route
Jawbone Overlook starting from from Crisman Hollow Rd is a short hike with a big payoff, and sees very little traffic compared to other close by hikes. On a clear day the view easterly from Jawbone Overlook is spectacular. Kennedy Peak is visible to the northwest, with Duncan Knob on the southern tip of Catback Mountain to the east. Don't be surprised if you have this beautiful overlook all to yourself. Jawbone Overlook is just north of New Market Gap in the Massanutten Range, and close to the Duncan Knob and Strickler Knob hikes.
If you feel like bagging another spectacular overlook while you're in the area, as well as adding a fun rock scramble, the Gap Creek trailhead that climbs up to Duncan Knob starts only 75 yards further south on Crisman Hollow Rd.
- Mile 0.6 - Make the first switchback, and now continue more steeply.
- Mile 0.76 - Make a switchback to the left, then in 75 yards the blue blazed Jawbone Gap Trail makes another sharp switchback to the right and leaves the forestry road. The trail is now a narrow hiking trail and will switchback two more times then climb to the ridge and intersection of the orange blazed Massanutten and white blazed Jawbone Overlook trails.
- Mile 1.0 - At the ridge the orange blazed Massanutten trail turns left as well as continuing straight. Turn right on the white blazed Jawbone Overlook Trail north along the ridge. The trail passes over a rocky area, then continues more steeply towards Jawbone Overlook.
- Mile 1.25 - Arrive at the overlook. To return re-trace your route.
- Mike 2.5 - Arrive back at the parking area on Crisman Hollow Rd.